22 March, 2005

 

Er, hello ?

Well my little IELTSers, it seems that when the going gets tough, the tough don't get going ...

What's wrong? Is IELTS getting to you? Sorry I can't give you the magic pill to make IELTS easy. It's hard work and gonna get harder, so be warned.

I expect you to follow up units in the coursebook "Insight into IELTS' under your own steam - that is, outside of class. We don't have the luxury of a semester lead-in to the IELTS while you do a pre-sessional course in an English-speaking country - alas! I expect you to be resourceful and conscientious in your self study. Just coming to class and sitting on the bus is not enough. You must know where you are going and what it takes to get there!

Make the most of your English language resources - your limitations in grammar and vocabulary will be cruelly exposed in the reading and writing modules - let alone the range of expressions in the listening. Even your speaking lacks spontaneity and flair, although I am very impressed with ANYONE doing such a demanding exam as IELTS in their second or third language. 30 odd years ago my French and German were superb and I could use these languages fluently even though I had never travelled outside the UK nor met a Frenchman or a German. Even now I can 'hold my own' very capably in these tongues (go on, try me!).

So, I might be a little late or slightly disorganised tonight as Princess Zeena is playing in a musical recital at her school and i HAVE to attend, or else the the consequences are very, very serious.

Well then, have a look at that KT article from the "Observer" newspaper - maybe one side can argue it's rubbish, while the others say it's true and to be taken seriously?

Either way, I'll be there and plan to give you a FULL SCALE Task 2 writing test from 9.05 to 09.45pm - so be warned!

I have a lot to get through with you this evening. I expect a lot from my students (ask my daughters! Zeena's three big sisters are stunningly beautiful, intelligent and unique!) Do I expect too much?

Reactions please!

Tony the torturer

4.28pm
Comments:
S'OK, Yasmeen! I hadn't noticed the typo regarding "were" instead of "where". Some academic research indicates that as long as the first and last letter are in the correct place in a word, then our brains compensate for and sort out any scrambled letters in between. We read what we think we see, even if the message is garbled.
Other team members, please start posting and leaving samples of your writing and other features of your IELTS prep.
Any comments / postings - misspelt or otherwise are better than no postings or comments at all.
Thank you, Yasmeen, Zeena played her heart out and was sensational (in my totally biased view!). When your time comes to perform, give it your 'best shot' as well'.

Rock on, guys, keep the faith!!

Tony 07.53 am
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?